Andy Grove on Net Censorship

I just ran across this on Usenet, a quote from several months back:

*   C-SPAN Television, Wednesday June 5th, 1997
*
*   Andrew Grove, Chairman & CEO of Intel Corporation, is asked whether
*   bomb-making information should be censored from the Internet.
*
*   "No. The same information is available in libraries, and we don't
*   censor libraries, nor should we. When I was thirteen I built a
*   nitroglycerin bomb. It was an incredibly stupid thing to do,
*   and I knew someone who had their hand blown off, but I am
*   adamantly against censoring such material."
*
*   "And unlike a library, a parent can buy a program that uses keyword
*   monitoring to disallow Internet traffic per the parents' wishes.
*   Such a program is available now, and costs only $29."

Very well put. Maybe Grove can be convinced that Intel should not be part
of the Big Brotherish "Key Recovery Alliance."

--Tim May