Re: Sue Congress?... (fwd)

Forwarded message:

> Date: Sun, 28 Dec 1997 23:54:15 -0500
> From: David Miller <[email protected]>
> Subject: Re: Sue Congress?...

> > The question of the day is:
> >
> > How does one go about submitting a case directly to the Supreme Court? The
> > Constitution apparently leaves this up to the Supreme Court to decide in its
> > rules of operation.
>
> In large part, yes.  It is up to the Court's sole discretion whether or
> not they
> will hear a case.  I believe that all cases they hear are appeals.  I'm
> pretty
> sure you can't just go to the Supreme Court, but must follow due
> process...

The quotes from the Constitution, which you apparently didn't read, clearly
indicate that the role of the Supreme Court is more than a simple appeals
court. Further, while they may refuse to hear appeals, hence confirming the
lower courts ruling with a supreme stamp of approval, there is *nothing* in
the Constitution and hence their rules that allows them to refuse to accept
cases where they are the only Constitutional jurisdiction, such as
impeachment proceedings of Congressmen relating to un-constitutional actions
that may result in their impeachment.

Once the case is submitted to the Supreme Court then Congress, not the SC,
chooses the place and time.

   |      Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make       |
   |      violent revolution inevitable.                                |
   |                                          John F. Kennedy           |
   |                                                 [email protected]     |