Re: In God We Antitrust, from the Netly News

Tim May <[email protected]> writes:
> AMD is now trading at $18. Five years ago it was trading at the same price.
> In fact, it's been a narrow range between about 20 and 30 for most of that
> time, briefly blipping up to 40 before dropping back to the level it was
> half a decade ago. In fact, it's where it was in 1983, 15 years ago. (Check
> the charts.)
>
> Meanwhile, Intel has moved from $15 to $72 (today's price) in 5 years, and
> from something like $2 (or less, as the charts don't go back to '83 for
> Intel), up a factor of 30 or more times.

This is not the way to compare 2 stocks. Let me illustrate this with
a numericl example.

Stock A has been trading at about $10 for the last 10 years.  Every year
it paid $5 in dividends. (OK, so why is it to fucking cheap)

Stock B has appreciated from $10 to $20 over the last 10 years.

Which has better total returns?

---