Re: Misty???

At 9:08 PM -0800 1/21/98, William H. Geiger III wrote:

>Well on another mailing list I have been chastised for calling Misty
>"snake-oil".
>
>Has anyone actually examined this algorithm? Seems there is an IETF Draft
>on it (draft-ohta-misty1desc-00.txt).
>
>Any opinions on it?? My only exposure has be through the pidgon-english
>posts of Nobuki Nakatuji (if it looks like a duck, it smells like a duck,
>it quacks like a duck ....).

I wouldn't call Misty "snake oil." But it's also been thoroughly taken
apart and shown to be weak. Importantly, it was submitted by Mitsubishi for
peer review.

"Snake oil" is a name I reserve for, well, snake oil. Some of the recent
nonsense we've seen is more snake oilish than Misty was.

Of course, there should be no real interest in Misty anymore, except as an
example to study, so anyone trying to promote it might be accused of
peddling snake oil.

As for Nobuki-san's consistently strange posts, I'm now persuaded he may be
a troller. Or just not very bright.

--Tim May