Re: Netscape 5 will be GPL'ed

root wrote on 1998-01-23 01:29 UTC:
> [Press Releases]
> http://www.netscape.com/newsref/pr/newsrelease558.html?cp=nws01flh1
>
> NETSCAPE ANNOUNCES PLANS TO MAKE NEXT-GENERATION COMMUNICATOR SOURCE CODE
> AVAILABLE FREE ON THE NET

Excellent!

Finally mainstream software companies start to understand that security
critical software has to be provided to the customer in full compilable
source code to allow independent security evaluation.

No formal CC/ITSEC evaluation process can beat the scrutiny of the
Internet crowd.  I wonder how long we have to wait for the day on which
we can download the latest GPL'ed Windows NT version source code from
Microsoft's web server ...

Markus

--
Markus G. Kuhn, Security Group, Computer Lab, Cambridge University, UK
email: mkuhn at acm.org,  home page: <http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/>