Re: Interesting Chemical Reaction

Igor writes:

> An interesting experiment is to mix the ordinary ammonium nitrate
> (a fertilizer) with room temp. water. Try to put in as much ammonium
> nitrate as it is possible to dissolve.

> You will see the temperature of the mixture DROP to below the freezing
> point (for pure water that is).

> Wow. I did that 12 years ago and was amazed. A really easy way to get
> cold water if no freezer is available.

And for those who may think that endothermic reactions violate some basic
law about entropy always increasing, I should point out that the increase
in entropy from the uniform mixing of two different materials can more
than compensate for the decrease in temperature.  Ain't science wonderful?

--
Eric Michael Cordian 0+