RE: The Continued Attack on Cash (Was: "The Right ofAnonymity"...)

At 6:01 PM -0800 2/2/98, James O'Toole wrote:
>Tim,
>
>Maintaining anonymity in the face of the regulatory framework is certain
>to be difficult, and anything difficult is usually rare, expensive, or
>both.

???

>An interesting question about the Privacy Card product is whether the
>social pressure against it is strong enough to defeat its privacy whenever
>the product is well advertised.  In other words, will a privacy product
>survive in spite of its own publicity in our current environment, or can
>privacy products only exist when their own existence is relatively
>unknown.  This is interesting because in the latter case, we have only a
>very very weak form of privacy/anonymity because it is hard to be sure how
>much privacy backs a product whose very existence is semi-secret.

If a Privacy Card is legal, and can be issued by Visa, Mastercard, American
Express, Discover, or some new issuer, and if merchants sign on (as would
presumably be the case by default with Visa and so on), then what is the
"social pressure" you speak of?

Corporate cards are already widely accepted...most of you probably have a
card issued to you through your employing institution. I see no "social
pressure" to block usage of my Institute of Applied Ontology corporate AmEx
card.

The real roadblock is that government makes such privacy-protecting
measures either difficult or illegal.

--Tim May