Re: UrsinePunks (Re: County Mounties Spit on the 4th Amendment)

Tim May enscribed thusly:
> At 6:25 AM -0800 2/3/98, Michael H. Warfield wrote:

> >"Supertroupers" refers to State Patrol.  The term "Smokie" (coined from
> >the movie Smokie and the Bandit) refers to all police.

> Nope, not coined from the movie.

> Just the reverse.

> Highway cops were called "smokies" (or "smokeys") when I was growing up in
> Virginia in the 60s, long before the movie.

	Point conceded.  Quite correct.

> I haven't checked the derivation, but had always assumed it came from the
> Smokey the Bear figure, who wore a tall, broad-brimmed hat (also known as a
> campaign hat). The hat worn by many state highway patrols. Ergo, "smokeys."

	Yeah, I think that's true as well, now that you remind me.

> (I used to see the _real_ Smokey the Bear at the Washington Zoo. I think he
> died of old age in the 1970s.)

> (A URL with a few details is
> http://www.4j.lane.edu/websites/roosevelt/Connections/smokey.html)

> --Tim May, posting from the Bear State

> "National borders aren't even speed bumps on the information superhighway."
> Timothy C. May              | Crypto Anarchy: encryption, digital money,
> ComSec 3DES:   408-728-0152 | anonymous networks, digital pseudonyms, zero
> W.A.S.T.E.: Corralitos, CA  | knowledge, reputations, information markets,
> Higher Power: 2^3,021,377   | black markets, collapse of governments.

	Mike
--
 Michael H. Warfield    |  (770) 985-6132   |  [email protected]
  (The Mad Wizard)      |  (770) 925-8248   |  http://www.wittsend.com/mhw/