Re: the best justice/kinds of monopolies

on or about 980205:1438, in <[email protected]>,
    Jim Burnes <[email protected]> was purported to have
    expostulated to perpetuate an opinion:

>Jim Choate wrote:

[snip]

>so unless further information comes in it looks like a
>natural monopoly.  What does it take to undo a natural monoply?

>Build something cheaper, better and more reliable.

>Its just possible (and this might be a stretch, but only by a little)
>that Linux, Free Netscape Sources, Java etc might acheive this.
>Certainly Apache is more popular than any other webserver.

>How you come up with a new product in this type of market without
>M$ "re-inventing it" and giving it away is anyone's guess.

>(1) Hope that Linux/Scape/Java/KDE do something big
>(2) Write a Win95/NT compatible operating system that is
>    faster and cheaper.  If you can clone a Pentium, you
>    can clone Windoze.  (visions of a QNX like OS with Win32
>    API dance in my head).  A GPL'd VSTa-based Win32 OS
>    would be pretty amazing.  This would be necessary because
>    games are a big market and the Linux kernel just doesn't
>    have what it takes to do realtime without a major hack.
>    How about VSTa/a free DOS emulator/Wine.  If Sun would
>    fund this effort it could take a lot of wind out of
>    M$ sails.  Probably more than Java.  McNeally would have
>    to hop down from his high-horse.

>    When will this happen?  When the market gets tired of
>    M$ practices and some lucky competitor comes to the
>    fore.  Until then there is no devine right to a percentage
>    of the operating system market share.

>We can only code and hope.

>(donning flame retardant vest)
>jim burnes

    dont need a flame retardent vest for my direction. I agree in theory
    that all it takes is a better product --unless the 800 lb gorilla
    steals it, borrows it, whatever and puts it out for free which they
    have been know to do on more than one occasion.

    and, the fact M$ has such enormous leverage in the market to command
    the pole position for any product they promote (even vapourware), is
    why society does have a responsibility to its members to level the
    playing field.  until the sheeple stop following the Judas to the
    Micro$lop slaughter house, the law must finally step in and break it
    up --or as Orrin Hatch said: "if M$ does monopolize the net, look for
    an "Federal Internet Commission" --using the law to surgically dismember
    M$ into logical divisions is one thing --living with another regulatory
    commission is another, and certainly not very "tasty".