Re: Feds Approve Bank to Certify Digital Signatures

I'm not sure it is unfortunate that they'll be offering escrow.  If
its a complete flop, then we'll be able to point to the complete
failure of the released system.

Time for some Big Brother inside stickers to be printed out, slapped
on flyers for the program, and remailing to potential customers. :)

Anyone work at ZNB?  Want help quitting?

Adam

Bill Stewart wrote:
| There was a note to Dave Farber's list that the Office of the
| Comptroller of Currency has approved Zion's First National Bank
| to certify digital signatures.  Since they're in Utah, Zion's has
|
| They're going to offer digital signature certificates
| with the usual binding of a key to a body plus papers,
| and provide software to support it.  Some of their software
| can be used for encryption, and unfortunately they're
| going to offer key escrow, though as a separate business
| service, with keys encrypted by the key's corporate owner
| as well as by the bank for protection, but it's not
| going to be a mandatory service, and they have no intention
| of offering escrow for signature keys, only encryption keys.

					               -Hume