Re: the best justice/kinds of monopolies

At 11:52 PM -0800 2/5/98, Bill Frantz wrote:
>At 1:38 PM -0800 2/5/98, in a generally right on post, Jim Burnes wrote:
>>(this and the strange tendency of
>>workers
>>to "go postal" -- you rarely hear about FedEX employees going on
>>an
>>AK47 rampage, must be the water ;-)
>
>No, the problem is the US Postal Service's willingness to tolerate assholes
>as managers.  There may be an argument for pinning that on the government
>monopoly aspects of the USPS as well.

Not just the managers, but the ordinary employees...

The Postal Service is effectively bound to keep employees on that any
normal business would have simply given the boot to.

The benefits of government service....

(Yes, yes, I know some of you will be tempted to cite the official line
that the Postal Service is no longer a government agency. Well, this is a
distinction without a difference. The USPS retains governmental protections
against competition, has government-like powers and protections, and is
still run by a "Postmaster General," not a Chairman of the Board or
President or CEO. It ain't FedEx or Airborne. Or even UPS, which emulates
government agencies.)

--Tim May

Higher Power: 2^3,021,377   | black markets, collapse of governments.