Re: Driver Licenses

On 2/9/98 12:25 PM, Tim May ([email protected])  passed this wisdom:

>Lucky is right that that "underage stings" are on the increase.
>Underage persons, often in high school, beome self-righteour
>warriors in the War On Demon Rum, and "narc out" their local
>shopkeepers.

As I write this there are advertisements up in the halls at the HS
(obviously with school blessings) where I teach (a few miles east of
Burlington, VT) specifically soliciting 17 year olds to work for a
private company under contract to the state to 'test buy' tobacco
products. I haven't heard about any takers yet nor anything backfiring.

>Hey, it would serve these junior narcs right if, upon being carded
>and being shown to be underage, a store owner made a citizen's
>arrest. Perhaps putting the perp in the back freezer for a few
>hours would send a message.

  I wonder, though, how long it would go on if some shopkeeper indeed did
this? But, is it a crime to try to buy booze or tobacco underage, if you
do not try to show fraudulent indentification?

Brian B. Riley --> http://members.macconnect.com/~brianbr
 For PGP Keys  <mailto:[email protected]?subject=Get%20PGP%20Key>

 "He's not dead -- He's electroencephalographically challenged."