Re: SOFT TEMPEST (fwd)

On Mon, 9 Feb 1998, Jim Choate wrote:
> That's good. The thought that given current technology a signal reception
> van could pull one monitors display out of a building that could potentialy
> have 1,000+ pc's (my last job had about 1500/floor and 3 floors) at a range
> of say 200 ft. is truly incomprehensible. If it works that is a feat worth
> many laurels.

I don't know about displaying the screens of several thousands of PC's at
a site, but you can easily select any given screen of several dozens of
PC's. Using $100 worth in equipment plus a  [>>$100] quality frequency
generator.

At HIP'97, I watched a van Eck demonstration given by a German professor.
Using cheap analog equipment and one of the better HP frequency
generators, he pulled screen images from the power line, the networking
cable, and out of thin air. Since the oscillators in the devices to be
monitored all have slightly different frequencies, you can actually tune
the monitoring equipment to a specific PC. Even if there are numerous PC
on the same floor of the building.

I am told screen images can be captured up to 600 meters along the power
line.

Now all this was done without the use of a DSP. I can only imagine what
one could capture after adding a DSP to the setup.

-- Lucky Green <[email protected]> PGP v5 encrypted email preferred.
   "Tonga? Where the hell is Tonga? They have Cypherpunks there?"