Re: Cyber 'Nannys"

At 12:40 AM -0800 2/10/98, [email protected] wrote:
>Tim May wrote:
>
>> I don't mean to be flippant . At issue here is a very real issue of free
>> choice and contracts. Customers cannot "demand" a list of criteria for
>> blocked sites any more than customers can demand a list of the selection
>> criteria a bookstore uses, or a magazine editor uses, and so on.
>
>Ever hear of consumer protection laws? There are many cases where consumers
>are allowed to "demand" information regarding their purchases...you were being
>flippant. One subscribes to a magazine because one knows what the focus of the

No, I was _not_ being flippant (which was what I said). I was being
libertarian.

As far as I'm concerned, absent a contract, anyone who "demands" something
from me is on thin ice.

Like I said, if you're unhappy that CyberSitter or NetNanny will not
provide you with information you wish to have, use another service.

But don't cite "Consumer Protection Laws."

--Tim May

Just Say No to "Big Brother Inside"
Higher Power: 2^3,021,377   | black markets, collapse of governments.