Sen. Feinstein explains why she supports crypto-restrictions

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 1998 11:00:33 -0800 (PST)
From: Declan McCullagh <[email protected]>
To: [email protected]
Subject: Sen. Feinstein explains why she supports crypto-restrictions

---------- Forwarded message ----------

Date: Mon, 9 Feb 1998 20:15:42 -0800
From: Christopher Allen <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: Letter to Senator Dianne Feinstein

I received a response to the "Letter to Senator Feinstein" today. It reads
as follows:

February 3, 1998

Mr. Christopher Allen
President and CEO
Consensus Development Corporation
2930 Shattuck Avenue
Suite 206
Berkeley, California  94705

Dear Mr. Allen

	This is in response to a January 16th unsigned letter from a group
of high technology companies on encryption policy.

	In this letter, you urge me to meet regularly with representatives
from the companies who sent the letter. I want to assure you that both I
and my staff do meet regularly with executives from California firms who
are concerned about all aspects of our government's laws and policies
regarding the high tech industry. Indeed, I cannot recall ever rejecting a
request for a meeting with a CEO on the issue of encryption or other
matters of great import.

	Should you or any of your co-signers wish to meet with me, please
just call my or my scheduler, Trevor Daley at 202/224-9636.

	With regards to my position on encryption, I have no one solution
that I favor, included mandated key recovery. However, I am concerned that
whatever solution is devised must provide solutions to the issues raised
by FBI Director Louis Freeh, which have been reinforced by classified
briefings and public hearings that I have attended.

	Should you have any additional questions about my views on
encryption please review a Question & Answer interview I gave to the San
Jose Mercury News last September. My answers, though general in nature,
accurately set forth my thinking. However I recognize the complicated
nature of encryption and am eager to hear industry proposals. I look
forward to a continuing dialogue on this issue with you and your
colleagues.

	With warmest personal regards.

	Sincerely yours,

	Dianne Feinstein
	United States Senator

DF:seg

(enclosure: "Why Feinstein is supporting encryption curbs", San Jose
Mercury News, Monday, September 15th, 1997, page 1E)

...            ** NOTE NEW OFFICE ADDRESS & PHONE NUMBER **            ..
... Christopher Allen                Consensus Development Corporation ..
... President & CTO                            2930 Shattuck Ave. #206 ..
... <[email protected]>               Berkeley, CA 94705-1883 ..
... <http://www.consensus.com>            o510/649-3300  f510/649-3301 ..