Re: News & Truth (fwd)

Forwarded message:

> Subject: Re: News & Truth
> Date: Wed, 18 Feb 98 16:07:00 -0800
> From: "Vladimir Z. Nuri" <[email protected]>

> a friend of mine is studying Hamilton vs. Jefferson. it turns out
> Hamilton loved newspapers and would write frequently under his own
> name, or under a variety of pseudonyms. one biographer states he
> assumed the personality of each as he wrote under them.  I think
> Jefferson was at ill advantage in the face of Hamilton's tactics.

Perhaps, but I doubt your proposing that history looks upon Hamilton
with equity to Jefferson. The ultimate winner of any discourse is the one
that history remembers.

Jefferson's Opinion of Hamilton:

That I have utterly in my private conversations disapproved of the system of
the Secretary of the Treasury, Alexander Hamilton, I acknowledge and avow;
and this was not a merely speculative difference. His system flowed from
principles adverse to liberty and was calculated to undermine and demolish
the republic, by creating an influence of his department over members of the
Legislature. I saw this influence actually produced, and its first fruits to
be the establishment of the greatest outlines of his project by the votes of
the very persons who, having swallowed his bait, were laying themselves out
to profit by his plans; and that had these persons withdrawn as those
interested in a question ever should, the vote of the disinterested majority
was clearly the reverse of what they made it. These were no longer then the
votes of the representatives of the people, but of deserters from the right
and interests of the people.

My objection to the Constitution was that it wanted a bill of rights
securing freedom of religion, freedom of press, freedom from standing
armies, trial by jury, and a constant Habeas Corpus act. Colonel Hamilton's
was that it wanted a king and a house of lords. The sense of America has
approved my objection and added the bill of rights, not the king and lords.
I also thought a longer term of service, nsusceptible of renewal would have
made a President more independant. My country has thought otherwise, and I
have aquiesced implicity. He wishes the general government should have power
to make laws binding the States in all cases whatever. Our country has
thought otherwise. Has he aquiesced?

Note: It is of some interest to note the capitalization in the final
      opinion, it is Jeffersons.

   |            When a man assumes a public trust, he should            |
   |            consider himself public property.                       |
   |                                      Thomas Jefferson              |
   |                                                 [email protected]     |