Vile Vial Files

One of the interesting items revealed today was that an FBI file was opened
on the Ohio man when he ordered the bubonic plague culture a few years ago.
The Maryland company forwarded his name to the Feds, apparently as part of
a regular arrangement to do so.

The Feds did an investigation, found he had used his company's name
"fraudulently" (whatever that might be), and used this to convict him on
fraud charges. (Not on the bubonic plague charges, though, as that wasn't a
crime. At least not then.)

This is part of a larger surveillance state situation, with buyers of all
sorts of chemicals reported to the Feds. With buyers of grow lamps
reported. (And supposedly the electric utility companies are reporting
unusual power usages in the middle of the night to Feds.)

While there may be various good reasons not to have botulism or bubonic
plague cultures sold to ordinary folks, this whole situation raises serious
issues. And the initiation of FBI investigations of purchasers of many
kinds of chemicals raises issues.

(One can asssume that with more and more such things being added to the
"watch lists" each year, that there will be less acceptance of cash, or
anonymous digital cash, for such purchases.)

ObMinorNote: I recently tried to buy a bag of ammonium nitrate for my
yard...the local yard store says it hasn't been available to ordinary
customers since OKC. I had to settle for ammonium sulfate instead.

We live in a dangerous world, full of potentially dangerous substances and
things. Instead of dealing with the danger on a personal basis, we are
using the government as our nanny, and also letting it record our
purchases, open files on us for "unusual" purchases, and generally track
our actions. Which actually won't have much effect on dedicated terrorists
and criminals.

--Tim May

Just Say No to "Big Brother Inside"
Higher Power: 2^3,021,377   | black markets, collapse of governments.