Re: Declan pro-cencorship (sorta) (fwd)

Unlike the rest of this discussion, Jim is mostly right here,
and in a way that neither censors anyone nor discourages them
from providing filtering services for people who want it.
However, Wabe is reinventing NoCeMs - which support multiple
NoCeM issuers, and you can pick any one or more that you like
to kill off spam for you before you read it.  I'm not sure
how widely available implementations of NoCeM mailreaders are;
probably they're mostly Emacs macros.

On the other hand, while the Cypherpunks list gets lots of noise,
it doesn't get much spam (except when somebody's targeting it),
Filters that pick out the most interesting 10% are much more useful
than filters that discard the bottom 10%.
Attacking the list, while less suicidal than spamming alt.2600,
is still not very bright, given the potential risks :-)

At 12:02 PM 2/15/98 -0600, Jim Choate wrote:
>What makes you think you are suitable to decide what others want to see?
>How is this any different than any other form of censorship? This exact
>issue is why the CDR was setup with multiple nodes.

				Thanks!
					Bill
Bill Stewart, [email protected]