Re: "Corporations selling your ass down the road for a dollar"

At 07:10 AM 2/12/98 -0400, Michael Sims wrote:

>Except, of course, that *businesses* count as individuals in a
>libertarian world.  Yes, the corporation, that creation wholly of
>government, becomes a sort of super-individual - and of course all
>individuals are equal, but some are just a bit more equal.

Except that one does not need government to form a limited liability entity.  It was never necessary.  These days in particular with secret voting protocols and anonymous communications, it would be trivial to have a limited liability entity whose owners had no personal liability for organizational debts because they are unknown and unknowable.  Yet they can control the entity without losing their anonymity.  This was always possible.  Now it is easy.

In French corporations were originally called (pardon my spelling) "soci�t� anonime".

Certainly as a cypherpunk, you believe in anonymous organizations.

>When I see a libertarian calling for an elimination of all forms of
>corporations

Certainly anarcho libertarians have always opposed government "incorporation" since they opposed government.

>and a return to sole proprietorships and straight
>partnerships as the only form of business, then I'll know he's
>ideologically consistent.

What about Trusts, Companies of Adventurers, lots of other things...

>But very very little time complaining about the *existence* of
>corporations whose primary function is to shield the important folks
>who run and fund the corporation from the consequences of their
>actions.  Come on!  This should be a primary offense!  Individuals
>with no responsibility!

One can't impose responsibility on all.  Thus, I may be too poor to pay if you sue me.  So don't deal with me.  If you don't want to deal with an anonymous business entity, don't.

DCF