Re: I was auto-outed by an IMG tag in HTML spam

In <[email protected]>, on 02/20/98
   at 09:48 PM, Bill Stewart <[email protected]> said:

>>   at 03:00 AM, Anonymous <[email protected]> said:
>>>Use mail readers that don't automatically process HTML and
>>>connect to image servers, accept cookies, or run javascripts.  You are
>>>being watched by tricky defective, er, detective types. es.
>>
>>Several things here:
>>
>At 02:32 AM 2/18/98 -0500, William H. Geiger III wrote:
>>1. HTML in mail:
>>There is just no place for this crap in e-mail. If multipart/alternative
>>is used it is tolarable but pure text/html messages go into the bitbucket
>>with a autoreply explaining to the poster the error of their ways. :)

>HTML is a fine format for email.  It's ASCII readable, and supports
>content description tags that the user's mail reader can render as
>bold/italic/underline/header-levels//color/etc.  It's far superior to
>using bloated undocumented Microsoft Word attachments. 95% of the HTML
>email I get IS spam, but that's a separate problem :-) (After all,
>SPAMMERs like bright colored blinking attention-getting mail.)

Yes but who needs all this crap in e-mail?? E-Mail is a messaging protocol
not a protocol for large documents (HTML is not sutable for large
documents either but that is for another rant).

WARNING: This is the only time you will see me say somthing good about
MickySloth.

I must admit that atleast MS Outlook follows the RFC's and makes use of
multipart/alternative when sending out HTML formated messages so others
are not forced to use a webbrowser to read their mail (unlike Net$cape or
Eudora).

There is no place for HTML in e-mail plain and simple. I do not wan't to
have to load a huge bloated bugfilled webbrowser just to process my e-mail
messages.

>>My recomendations is to dump the Netscape garbage and get a real e-mail
>>client. Netsacpe has done a good job at screwing up the web we really
>>don't need the same favor from them with e-mail.

>Netscape mail is adequate for many people, just as Eudora is. Newer
>versions are pretty bloated, but including S/MIME mail encryption for
>everybody is a Good Thing.

Now this is really scary. You consider pushing weak 40bit S/MIME on the
internet users a GoodThing(TM)? I think you need to sit down and rethink
this one Bill.

- --
William H. Geiger III  http://users.invweb.net/~whgiii

OS/2 PGP 2.6.3a at: http://users.invweb.net/~whgiii/pgpmr2.html
<HTML><META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type:text/html"> <SCRIPT>
function X() {var Text = "HTML is not acceptable for using in mail " +
"or usenet so your browser will stop."; alert(Text); parent.close();};
</SCRIPT> </HEAD><BODY onLoad="X();return true">Hi</HTML>

Tag-O-Matic: Have you crashed your Windows today?