Re: HP Crypto Export

At 11:18 AM -0800 2/28/98, Michael Elder wrote:
>>From the NY Times online (www.nytmes.com)
>Hewlett-Packard Granted License
>For Encryption System
>
>By PETER WAYNER

>known as a Security Domain Authority or SDA. In countries, like France,
>that require people to keep a record of keys for unlocking data, the SDA
>would only allow the computers to encrypt information if it complied with
>the laws. In countries with no laws about encryption usage like the United
>States, Germany and Great Britain, the SDA would allow users to encrypt in
>whatever manner they choose.

Until, of course, the U.S. changes its policy.

A constant danger with any of these "solutions" is that they make later
imposition of controls so much easier. Consider the implications of
widespread deployment of the HP-type system (which, BTW, I don't think will
happen in the U.S., or elsewhere).

A simple change in the law and all new tokens (and they must be renewed
yearly, so says HP) will implement the new law.

The camel's nose in the tent strategy.

The HP/IBM product is perniciously evil and should be fought with all
technical and memetic means.

--Tim May

Just Say No to "Big Brother Inside"
Higher Power: 2^3,021,377   | black markets, collapse of governments.