Login Tripwire Protocols

> I have more of a general privacy rather than a crypto question.  I am>
> trying to set up "tripwires" in the various computer accounts that i have>
> so i will know if a superuser or sysadmin has accessed them.  (it should

Can you build a reliable login tripwire on a machine where you don't
have root access and root is likely a malicious character?  The answer
is...maybe!  It requires a fairly sophisticated protocol and a lot of
work...here are three of my ideas that didn't pan out, one that probably
would, and a lot of caveats.  I'd appreciate comments, criticism,
etc. from other 'punks.

THE GOAL

You have an account on a system on which you do not trust root, or on
which you think someone else may be able to log in as you.  You want
to build an automated system which alerts you when someone logs in as
other than yourself.

(n.b.: we're just talking about a login tripwire.  Root doesn't need to
log in as you to read your mail or copy your files).

THE PROBLEM

The basic problem here is that you can't trust anything on the
insecure system.  Root can modify any file, any binary, your shell, your
environment, the kernel, a program running in memory, logs, devices, etc.
You want to get secure information out of an environment in which all
incoming and outgoing communications can be tampered with at will.

It's sort of like standing in front of a locked door to a speakeasy and
wanting to know if your friend Ivan is inside.  You can slide a paper
through the slat and if Ivan is in inside, require that he prove himself
by signing the paper.  However, if the paper comes back blank and the
bouncer says "he ain't here," how do you know that Ivan isn't tied up
in the back room?

I've thought of some protocols which root could defeat only if he had an
above-average degree of technical sophistication...e.g., examing a running
kernel and modifying it, disassembling binaries, etc.  These are not
normal admin tasks.  However, trusting your adversary to be ill-educated
is poor security practice.  There is one good protocol I thought of,
which would work except for the the #1 problem common to any attempt of
this sort...

THE ACHILLES HEEL

...and the #1 problem is: how do you determine if you (or someone posing
as you) is logged on to the remote machine?  Suppose the bouncer is
honest.  What if your adversaries can make Ivan invisible?  Anything your
account initiates via a .login script or similar can easily be avoided
by root, who can modify these scripts before logging in and restoring
them when done.  This leaves you with some sort of automated checking
to see if you're on, and a system to alert you if you are.

The common ways of determining who's logged on to a system can fail or be
circumvented:

	(a) utmp - notoriously easy to circumvent (utmp provides the info
	for who, finger, etc.)  Sometimes an errant shell will circumvent
	this accidentally, to say nothing of a concerted effort.  Root can
	modify this trivially.

	(b) ps to look for owned processes -- root can easily write a ps
	program that works normally except for devious reporting when
	he's masquerading as you.  Even if you use a custom program
	(which you have to either import each time or hash-check),
	root can modify the kernel, your environment, etc.

	(c) you can see who owns /dev terminals, but again...

	(d) I'm not sure if there is some method of consulting the kernel.
	Modifying a running kernel is considerably more difficult than
	the above, but if there is a means of consulting the kernel to
	see who's on, root could certainly circumvent it.

You could make SHA message digests of the relavent system binaries and
include checks for them in your robot messanger, but root may already
have changed them.  And remember that root can control your shell,
your environment, etc.

Maybe you assume that your adversary could not do these things.  I don't
think there is no 100% reliable way to see authoritatively who's logged
on to a system, even if your adversary is not a wizard.  However, for
the sake of discussion, let's assume for the moment that you find some
method of determining who's logged in that you feel confidant with,
either because your adversary lacks the technical ability to circumvent
normal methods, or because they are one person secretly being naughty
in an otherwise professional team that would notice changes, or because
your own wizardry outstrips there's.

The next trick is to build a robot to either sit inside the speakeasy to
shout out to you if Ivan is there, or one that goes into the speakeasy,
looks around, and reports back to you.  The trick is making sure that
the robot's voice is not impersonated by your enemies or that it is not
rewired before being sent back to you.

THINGS THAT WON'T WORK

Any kind of notification system that is initiated by your login scripts.

Anything that requires querying the insecure machine from a remote
machine to ask if you're logged on.  Root controls all inbound and
outbound communication.

Any sort of cron job run on the insecure machine -- root can turn these
off, insert a spoofer, do his deeds, and then restore things, with you
being none the wiser.

These protocols all assume you have an account on a trusted machine
that you feel is secure (you fool!), at least from the admin on the
insecure machine.

PROTOCOL #1 - DAEMON

You set up a daemon on the insecure machine which once a minute sees
who's on, and if you're on, sends that information along with a SHA
message digest (hash) of itself and its process number to the remote
machine, who checks to see if the process number or hash has changed,
and then builds a log.  You can then check this log to see if anyone
was on when you don't remember being on.

Problems:

(*) root can monitor outbound mail.  When he sees a message going to
your secure machine, he simply replaces it.

(*) root can grab the daemon's code out of memory, rewrite it so that it
first asks root if it should say you're on, and then proceeds normally,
sending out the same process number and SHA MD as an unmodified daemon
would.  He can even write a daemon that monitors for your daemon,
correcting its output whenever you restart your daemon.

PROTOCOL #2 - DAEMON IMPROVED

Same as #1, but this time the daemon first asks for a public key
from your secure host, and then encrypts its response using that key.
This defeats the first attack above.

Problems:

(*) root can use a classic man-in-the-middle attack to harvest the key
on inbound mail and then encrypt it for outbound mail.  No improvement.

PROTOCOL #3 - PROCMAIL + BINARY ROBOT

The trusted machine contains a set of object files in a linkable state
(i.e., post-compile, pre-link) for a binary robot which (a) checks to
see if you are logged on to whatever machine the robot is running on,
(b) encrypts this information using a public key, and (c) returns the
encrypted "yes/no" to the trusted machine, as well as a SHA message
digest of itself.

You set the following up as a cron job to run every X minutes on the
trusted machine.  The longer the gap, the longer an intruder might be
able to play around unnoticed.  However, the shorter the gap, the higher
the load, and you have to make sure the insecure machine can finish it's
processing within the gap.  Perhaps X should be semi-random.

(a) the trusted machine generates a public/private key pair.  The public
key is placed in a linkable format and linked with the object files for
the binary robot.  The trusted machine notes the outbound binary's SHA
message digest.

(b) the trusted machine mails this binary robot to the insecure machine.
At the insecure machine, you have a .procmailrc which looks for the
robot and  runs it

(c) the robot checks to see if you're online, and encrypts a reply
using the public key that's stored within it.  It sends this back to
the trusted machine.

(d) the trusted machine decrypts the message.  Because each key is
different, one-time, and used sequentially, there should be no replay
attack possibility here.  The trusted machine checks the SHA MD, and
if it's different, goes into alert mode -- sending you e-mail, paging
you, whatever.  Otherwise it just continues to build its log that you
can examine later.  You could do more processing -- perhaps you only
turn on this system on the trusted machine when you're not logged into
the insecure machine.  If it detects you are on while it's running,
it goes into alert mode.

(e) lather, rinse, repeat.

Problems:

(*) impracticalities of system load, and possible processing time length,
as noted above

(*) Root could sabotage procmail so instead of spawning your robot, it
spawns one of root's.  This mischevious binary then digs out the public
key from your robot's binary code, and returns a message with a "no,
he's not on" message and an SHA message digest of your binary.  (He could
also delete your .procmailrc or otherwise stop your automated system, but
this would be obvious and suspicious).  Since he'll have your binary and
your public key, there is no way to prevent this man-in-the-middle attack.

PROTOCOL #4 - PROCMAIL + BINARY, IMPROVED

Same as #3, but when the trusted machine links your little binary robot,
it randomly selects one of many random object files which contain
some trivial operation for the robot to perform.  The results of this
operation are then appended to the robot's reply.  Examples of these
random operations:

	-- print out the date in format X
	-- print "CNN Anchorwoman Lynn Russell is a goddess"
	-- lookup root's shell and `ls -l` it into the message
	-- print out the first 15 prime numbers into the message
	-- multiply pi by 9.856497 and print out the result
	-- figure the SHA hash of /bin/sh and print it

etc.  If this robot is intercepted, it will be difficult for root's robot
to mimic its behavior.  Yes, root could manually disassemble it and figure
out what it's secret operation is and build his own binary to mimic it, but
not in the minute or two that the binary will run before the next robot
each time would likely not work, because the compiler might link them all at
the same place and root's malicious binary could examine the binary and
ferret out the string automatically.

The random operations do not have to be complex, but they must have these
qualities:

	(*) the result must be definitively known to the trusted system
	(e.g., something like "finger root to see when he last logged
	in" will not work.  But "figure 9 to the 7th power and print
	the result" would)

	(*) the operation must be reasonably fast -- you don't want the
	robot doing a long calculation, which might let root analyze
	the robot, kill it, perform the calculation himself (perhaps
	on a faster machine), and spoof the reply.  Diversity is more
	important than complexity

	(*) there must be a large pool of these operations to choose from

	(*) the choosing must be random.  Obviously, it will
	be pseudorandom, but a strong pseudorandom system with
	least-significant time seeds should be sufficient, unless the
	insecure machine's root in this case is [email protected].

Problems:

(*) again, impracticalities of system load, and possible processing time
length, as noted above

(*) root will be able to save and analyze the robot binaries.  If the
pool is not diverse enough, root might be able to determine the likely
the trusted machine's perspective.  However, the trusted machine might
(a) have a large pool of random operations to choose from to make this
impractical, or (b) simply have a subroutine which randomly generates
random operations from a pool of pieces -- e.g., a set of rules from which
it randomly picks, and then performs other random operations to generate
the actual operation.  (i.e., rule #85 says pick three floating-point
numbers and generate an operation wherein the robot has to figure out
the cosine of each).  This would be much more difficult to predict/spoof.

CONCLUSIONS

First and foremost, the difficult of accurately determining who's on
will likely undermine any attempt to set up a login tripwire.

Also, we're talking about a login tripwire.  Suppose I'm root and I
want to copy a file from your home directory called diary-of-my-sexlife.
All I have to do is note the access/modify/change times, copy the file,
and then restore these times with touch(1).  You can't detect or prevent
read-only access.

Going to all the work of implementing protocol #4, the most reliable of
these, would likely result in a reasonably secure way of determing if
you're logged in (again, with the difficulty of determining who's logged
on caveats), but is it worth all this effort?  I was just thinking these
things up because I was bored.  If I really had an account on a system
I didn't trust, I would cancel it.

--
 Andrew Fabbro   [[email protected]]   [[email protected]]
 http://www-personal.umich.edu/~afabbro/          313.647.2713