RE: [PGP-USERS-4748]: Legality in Canada

On Tue, 7 Apr 1998, H. M. wrote:

> What's this 2600??
>
> I think it refers to the 2600 FAQ.  It�s a faq (Frequently Asked Questions)
> about hacking, phreaking, and other related stuff which (I believe) was
> originally made up by 2600 questions and answers (hence the name).
> They also hold meetings (in US and/or Canada?) in which, I guess, the
> attendants are supposedly hackers and phreakers.
I think you should perhaps read a little more maboy. 2600 is not an FAQ,
although, with any "group" nowadays, there is a FAQ avaliable for newbies
etc (obviously like yourself). 2600 refers to a frequency, NOT a q and a,
actually it derived from a tone that could "steal" trunk lines. They are
not "supposedly hackers and phreakers". Aso the debatable issure of exact
translation of a hacker, IMO it is anyone that has altered ANY program.
p.s. If it wasn't for hackers, you wouldn't have the technology you have.

> For what I've read on the inet, they sort of portray themselves as "outlawed
> heroes" unjustly prosecuted or so, which IMHO rises a question:
OH what you've read on the beloved www. I'd imagine you read an article on
a webpage full of sex ad banners as well. I don't feel that I am an
"outlawed hero" but I feel I better society in various ways.

> they claim that all data should be freely available, and since it's not,
> they ilegally enter other's systems by breaking into them... but, aren't we
> here talking about encryption as a means of protecting your data and your
> privacy?  if so, aren't these people supposed to be a threat to all of us?
As I've already said, you have alot more reading to do.
I agree this is not a mailinglist for anything other than PGP. And how
this thread evolved so far is by negligence.
RTFM

- -yashy-