Re: Position escrow

On 4/21/98 7:33 PM, Mark Armbrust ([email protected])  passed this wisdom:

>At 03:08 PM 4/21/98 -0700, you wrote:
>>This is a really difficult issue. Even the most diehard cypherpunk
>>cannot doubt the usefulness of a cellular position reporting
>>capability in an emergency situation, when the user *wants* the cops
>>or whoever to know where he is.  The big problem is how to keep it
>>from being used (or abused) for "law enforcement" purposes without the
>>consent of the user.
>
>Don't archive the information -- supply it as part of the CNID.  If the
>user has disabled caller-ID don't supply the location info either.
>
>This depends on the integrity of the service provider and whether they have
>the balls to stand up against CALEA.

 It seems to me that security dependent upon someone else's ethics/guts
or lack of them is no security at all.

Brian B. Riley --> http://members.macconnect.com/~brianbr
 For PGP Keys  <mailto:[email protected]?subject=Get%20PGP%20Key>

  "I tried sniffing Coke once, but the ice cubes got stuck in my nose."