Why does the Navy research onion routing?

Why does the Navy research onion routing?

Only reason I can think of is so that .mil can
study other sites anonymously, or communicate
amongst themselves using anonymous-routing-tech
to avoid traffic analysis.

The other practical possibility is that they're happy
to have smart CS people and will fund whatever they
want to do, just to keep them.

      David Honig                   Orbit Technology
     [email protected]                  Intaanetto Jigyoubu

"I actually thought Silicon Valley was where women went to get fixed."
		---LA Mayor Richard Riordan 98.02.19