Re: Why does the Navy research onion routing?

At 09:04 AM 4/29/98 -0700, David Honig wrote:
>Why does the Navy research onion routing?
>
>Only reason I can think of is so that .mil can
>study other sites anonymously, or communicate
>amongst themselves using anonymous-routing-tech
>to avoid traffic analysis.
>
>The other practical possibility is that they're happy
>to have smart CS people and will fund whatever they
>want to do, just to keep them.

There is some of the latter involved, but the military
does have times they'd like to check out web pages
without traffic analysis, just as they'd like
to be order lots of pizza without folks figuring out
that they're up to something.  This includes several cases -
using the public or civilian-government internet,
and also using their own intranets which may be less
than totally secure.
				Thanks!
					Bill
Bill Stewart, [email protected]