Spam

Hi cyphers, I'm back.  A certain 'nobody' invited me!  ;-)

Apparently only as far back as 1993, the definition of the word "spam" from
the on-line jargon file was this (according to the New Hackers Dictionary) -

spam [from the MUD community] vt. To crash a program by over-running a fixed-
size buffer with excessively large input data.  See also Buffer Overflow,
Overrun Screw, Smash the Stack.

Obviously that definition has changed since then.  I've seen it go from that
to repetitive commercial advertising, and I've seen it used to brand someone
as an outcast of a list for future removal simply because a small minority
didn't like what that person had said (so it was being used at that time to
mean 'objectional material').

And in all the times I've seen the word fly, there has never been anykind of
volume that would come close to overblowing the forum's mechanical
capabilities.

So, I'm curious as to who/what dictated the meaning of that to change so
drasticly.  Write me in private if it's off-subject (and yes, you can write me
anonomously if you don't want a response. :-) )

Also, new address for my website -

Stan,
Stan and the Sequencers
http://members.aol.com/StanSqncrs/