Re: John Gilmore and the Great Internet Snake Drive

Oh please ...

As you point out, physics is not optional.  This is predictable and was
predicted.  Yawn.

I predict that 3DES will fall too - actual time it takes is left to the
student.

More interesting, how about a supposition that DNA computers will be able
to factor
interesting numbers within 5 years ?  Does that make certain other
algorithms into snake-oil ?

At the heart of this is the idea that "strong" cryptography is a fixed and
finite
set over time and that a change in that set will result in a change in the
policy restricting export.  It doesn't necessarily follow.  Lobbying is
necessary.

Perhaps all that happens is that DES now joins the crowd of exportable
algorithms :-)

One lesson I plan to observe - don't encrypt known plaintext unless you
have to !

John Lowry