Cracking DES earlier

Friday 7/31/98 8:23 AM

John Young

I am reading  parts of http://www.jya.com/cracking-des.htm#foreword.

Bill Goldrick and I talked on the phone several days ago.

Goldrick had been reading about Cracking DES at jya.com.

Goldrick reminded me that in the late 1980s that NSA employee Mark
Unkenholtz told me and others at Sandia that NSA had broken DES.

Unkenholtz is the �Mark� mentioned at http://jya.com/da/whpda.htm
Appendix S.

Amy Johnston, cc,  was Mark Unkenholtz�s fiancee.

I faxed the Hern DRAFT letter to her for reason that NSA did not have an
unclassified fax machine readily available.

For those who might want to get Sandia crypto history right   "The First
Ten Years of Public Key Cryptography," Proceedings of the IEEE, 76(5),
May 1988. referenced at  http://www.aci.net/kalliste/nukearse.htm,
Goldrick

1 was supervisor of Mark Schaefer who build the second CTBT seismic data
authenticator
http://jya.com/da/whpda.htm

I used Schaefer�s TEMPEST design schematics.

2  supervised deployment of the seismic stations in Hamar Norway.  This
is detailed
in William Burrows book Deep Black.

3  supervised Jim Walkup who was responsible for placing the CTBT data
authenticator
described at  http://jya.com/da/whpda.htm in the field.

                  date: September 11, 1991

                    to: Bill Payne, 9236

                        [Signature]

                  from: James Walkup, 9233

               subject: DSVS authenticator records

4  handled recall of some CLASSIFIED algorithm eprom chips that somehow
made their
way into the field in 3.

NSA believes that the  STEP size and non-linear feedback function are
CLASSIFIED SECRET/NSI. http://jya.com/da/whpda.htm

  The NSA R register feedback function is classified. For each data bit
processed, both the   F and R registers are stepped multiple times. The
number of steps is classified.

But we ALL now know the CLASSIFIED SECRET/NSI value is 31.
http://jya.com/nsasuit.txt

5  rejected NSA employee Donald Simard�s  http://jya.com/nsasuit.txt
order to deploy the classified algorithm.

Simard told Goldrick that NSA would DECLASSIFY Benincasa's algorithm
LATER.

Let�s all hope for settlement of the unfortunate matter before it gets
WORSE.

I want to revise my book

http://www.apcatalog.com/cgi-bin/AP?ISBN=0125475705&LOCATION=US&FORM=FORM2

It has been over about 27 years since I directed any Ph.D. students

http://www-hto.usc.edu/software/seqaln/doc/html/gfsr.3.html
http://www.friction-free-economy.com/
http://www.mhpcc.edu/general/john.html

Perhaps I should get back into the business of directing and
participating in Ph.D thesis work?  I have some GREAT Ph.D. thesis topic
ideas in the area of

  FORTH is applicable to hardware intensive projects
  implemented by one, two, or three workers.  Robots,
  computer numerical controlled machines, weapons
  programmers, cryptographic processors, engine
  controllers, unmanned observatories, computer hardware
  debuggers, laser printer graphics controllers, video
  games, work station device drivers, writing BASICs are
  all candidates for FORTH software technology.  FORTH is
  a one of the top choices for embedded controller
  applications.

Later
bill