Re: text analysis

At 01:44 PM 8/6/98 +0100, Mok-Kong Shen wrote:
>CyberPsychotic wrote:
>> text). Anyways, when things come to 2 characters set, i have to get 1024
>> character set, and so on, which looks quite unreasonable to me to allocate
>> memory for elements, which probably will be never found in text... I was
>> thinking of other solution and came to two way connected lists (correct
>> term?)  things, i.e. : i have some structure like:
>>
>> struct element {
>> char value[ELEMENT_LENGTH];
>> unsigned int frequency;
>> struct element *previous;
>> struct element *next;
>> }
>>  and could dinamically allocate memory for each new found element, but
>> this would slow down whole code by the time list of new elements grow up.
>
>I think currently memory is cheap enough so that you could do
>frequency counts of at least trigrams with one dimensional array.

RAM is cheap - any 486 computer and most 386 computers has at least 4MB.
In the US, most new PCs have 16MB or more, and many have 64MB.
But learning how to program efficiently is still important :-)
And some computers have operating systems that make it hard
to use all of the RAM.
Disk is cheaper - almost all new computers have 1GB or more,
and most older desktops have at least 200MB.
You probably should use 32-bit integers to store your counters,
but you need to make sure your program does the right thing
if you exceed counts of 2**31.

Are you counting all kinds of text, or only words made of alphabetic
characters and spaces and punctuation, or only ASCII 127-bit?
Your 1024 number is 32*32, which sounds like only alphabetic and spaces;
if that's good enough, you could do 32*32*32*32 with 4-byte counts
and still fit in 4MB.
If you want all 256 possible 8-bit characters, two characters
requires 64K counters (256KB).   Trigrams require 16 million counters
if you allocate space for them all, which is 64MB, and may be expensive.
But you could store 256*256 pointers in 256KB, and allocate memory
for 256-counter arrays only for the digrams that appear,
and probably save lots of memory.  You could also store the counts on disk,
and keep only the more frequently used arrays of counts in RAM.
This was how we did things in the old days, when almost everything
was too big for RAM, and it really is much slower if you're not careful :-)
If you have a machine with a real operating system, you can
pretend keep your counters in RAM and let the operating system
decide what to page out to disk.  Think about this carefully,
because it can be very fast or very slow depending on how
well you write your programs.
				Thanks!
					Bill
Bill Stewart, [email protected]