Tim caught rehashing from Archives

Tim's thoughts on the archives are all the more ironic for being rehashed
from "the good old days (TM)".

--- forwarded article -------------------------------------------------------

>From owner-cypherpunks  Thu Jan  6 16:04:33 1994
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 1994 15:44:00 -0800 (PST)
From: Arthur Chandler <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: cypherpolitics
To: "Perry E. Metzger" <[email protected]>
Cc: [email protected]

On Thu, 6 Jan 1994, Perry E. Metzger wrote:

> Any sufficiently advanced mailing list is indistinguishable from
> noise.
>
> Perry

     I realize we're all supposed to smile knowingly at this cynical remark;
but I can't let the cynicism pass without a commentary. If the list is
advanced, then the issues being discussed may strike newbies as arcane --
this is noise only to the uninitiated. And repeated threads may strike
old-timers as rehash -- and therefore a kind of noise.  But -- at least
as far as Cypherpunks goes -- even apparently repetitive threads have
new slants, unforeseen shadings of personal meaning, and new contexts to
save them from being considered as just noise.
  "The main cause of failure in education," said A.N. Whitehead, "is
staleness." And a stale reader will hear only noise if the attention
isn't focussed enough to see the actually new within the apparently old.