Is Hate Code Speech?

I've searched the web and newsgroups several times, and found no mention
of "Willa Jackson".  I find it unlikely that this is real.

Despite my respect for Mr. Geiger, I must disagree - I don't find the
suit frivolous at all.

Briefly, I think that anyone who maintains software will agree that
naming variables & functions by any standard other than that of their
function is poor programming practice, and impedes maintenance.  Clearly
the authors of the code had some intent other than that of writing
maintainable code.  The fact that there were one or more coherent themes
in the names chosen indicates that their agenda was probably coherent.
The fact that management took no action when informed of this indicates
a complicity.

In essence, I believe that we are all entitled to a workplace free of
hate, and full of respect for our professional abilities.  For sheer
economic reasons, I think that the management of any responsible firm
will act to ensure that (respect is worth quite a few $$ in
compensation).

I acknowledge that you're welcome to use whatever variable names you
want in code you write in private. BUt if you want to sell that code, it
should be held to a standard of professionalism.