Re: What we are Fighting

   >   From: Tim May <[email protected]>
   >   >Information "I am not a klook" Security wrote:
   >
   >   >> Subject: Terrorist FBI, on Terrorism
   >   >> Date: Fri, 4 Sep 1998 09:58:23 EDT
   >   >>
   >   >> Statement for the Record
   >   >> FBI Director Louis J. Freeh before the Senate Judiciary Committee,
   >   >> September 3, 1998
   >
   >   >> The FBI supports a balanced encryption policy that satisfies fourth
   >   >> amendment concerns for privacy, the commercial needs of industry for
   >   >> robust encryption, and the government's public safety and national
   >   >> security needs.
   >
   >   But it bears constant repeating, especially to the skeptical, that there
   >   are NO DOMESTIC CRYPTO LAWS.
   >
   >   We all know this, but Freeh and Company continue to mumble about "meeting
   >   the legitmate needs of law enforcement." What can they be speaking of?
   >
   >   Obviously his side is contemplating domestic crypto restrictions.
   >
   >   They are planning domestic crypto restrictions, GAK, and all the rest of
   >   what we have long expected.

They have stated so openly; ~"if we hear a lot of encrypted hiss from [CALEA]
intercepts, we'll need GAK to be the law of the land". (a tilde before the
quote means I am paraphrasing).

In fact, at the same time the FBI used to say they weren't calling for
such a law, they were pushing behind the scenes for it.

*   http://epic.org/crypto/ban/fbi_dox/impact_text.gif
*
*   SECRET FBI report
*
*                   NEED FOR A NATIONAL POLICY
*
*   A national policy embodied in legislation is needed which insures
*   that cryptography use in the United States should be forced to be
*   crackable by law enforcement, so such communications can be monitored
*   with real-time decryption.
*
*   All cryptography that cannot meet this standard should be prohibited.

And here's the ECHELON/UKUSA slant:

*   What Is The OECD
*
*   The Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development, based in
*   Paris, France, is a unique forum permitting governments of the
*   industrialized democracies to study and formulate the best policies
*   possible in all economic and social spheres.

: From [email protected] Wed May 14 18:54:15 1997