Re: Cypherpunks HyperArchive

At 12:17 PM -0400 on 9/7/98, Tim May trolled:

> Ryan, could you tell us what you are working on, and what has taken you out
> of the country?

If I told you, I would have to kill you?

Seriously, Ryan and Ian were both moderators the Philodox Symposium on
Digital Bearer Transaction Settlement, held this July at the Harvard Club
in Boston. During the Symposium, they had several dinner conversations with
a couple of Symposium participants from a company which will remain
nameless, and they're currently putting together a digital bearer
transaction settlement system for those folks. Somewhere. :-).

Also there at the Symposium was Scott Loftesness, who's now the new
president of DigiCash, though the rest of us didn't know that at the time.
I was hoping someone from DigiCash would show up. I just didn't know
exactly how successful I was going to be in that until about two weeks ago.

Of course, a good time was had by all, including the likes of Dan Geer,
John Muller, some fairly serious financial people from Citicorp and VISA
and EGold, and several other interesting folks from various walks of
crypto, finance, and law. Had a great time, wish you were there, and all
that.

Yup, that financial technology evangelism stuff's just a waste of time.
Never gonna amount to much.

:-).

For my next trick  (besides some road-show DBTS seminars I'd like to do,
some speeches at upcoming electronic commerce/trading conferences in places
like Boston and London, the DBTS series I'm doing for Duncan Goldie-Scott's
online edition of the Financial Times, a white paper I'm doing for a credit
card company, some other fee-and-referral-commission consulting contracts,
and a few threatend projects from book editors <whew!>:-)) is a
chinese-wall, peer-reviewed legal conference on digital bearer settlement,
hopefully next summer. I'm recruiting the program chair now, and have
several people you've probably heard of in mind for the program committee,
though ultimately that's the committee chairman's decision.

Having some fun, *now*, as those SNL wild and crazy guys used to say...

Cheers,
Bob Hettinga
Robert A. Hettinga <mailto: [email protected]>
Philodox Financial Technology Evangelism <http://www.philodox.com/>
44 Farquhar Street, Boston, MA 02131 USA