SecDef on Crypto, Privacy

Excerpt from DoD transcription of Secretary of Defense Cohen's
remarks at the Council on Foreign Relations, New York City,
September 14, 1998:

[Begin]

Let me say one other thing about terrorism.  We in this country
much recognize the tension which will exist as you ask us, and
we will ask all successor administrations, to protect us.  And
you say, how do you protect someone against terrorists?  It means
increased intelligence.  It means increased intelligence, having
greater capability on the ground or from national technical
sources to find out who is planning and plotting what at what
place and what time.

To do that is going to put us in somewhat of a direct conflict
with rights to privacy, something that we hold very dear in this
country.  So the more intelligence-gathering responsibilities that
any administration is going to have, there's going to come a point
of tension and, indeed, friction between how much are you willing
to give up in order to be secure.  Those are the kind of unpleasant
choices that are going to be manifesting themselves in the near
future.  We haven't really faced up to it yet.  We're starting to
see some of that conflict at least intellectually develop when you
see the manufacturers of software who don't like the fact that the
law enforcement, the FBI, the Justice Department wants to have some
method of getting into encrypted technology.

You say, "Wait a minute, that's my right of privacy.  I'm a
businessman or woman.  I want to be able to send information out
over those -- those airwaves and have them completely protected."
Our Justice Department says, "Wait a minute, you want us to protect
you.  But you're allowing criminal elements, terrorists and others
 -- organized crime, drug cartels -- to encrypt their
telecommunications to the point where don't know what's going on.
And then something is going to happen, and you'll say, where were you?"

So those are the kinds of tensions that are going to continue to exist.
But we're going to have to have more intelligence to effectively deal
with terrorism in the future.

[End excerpt]

Full transcript:

   http://jya.com/wsc091498.htm  (49K)