Re: Democracy... (fwd) The Nature of Religion

Michael Hohensee wrote:

> Actually, you may be interested to know that *everyone* is religious, in
> some manner.  Everyone has at least one untestable assumption about the
> world.  That is, everyone has a kind of faith.  Let's give some
> examples:
>
> Christians believe that there exists a Being, called God, which somehow
> Moslems believe in the existance of a different God, and have different
> Atheists believe that God *doesn't* exist, which is essentially the same
> Even people who are nonreligious, or agnostic, have a religion.  For
> The Transcendentalists of the 19th century, for example, do not really
> Scientists tend to think differently.  Their beliefs can be described by

Lots of scientists look pretty religious about their 'science' to me.
Their untestable assumption being that they are capable of comprehending
what may be beyond them. Try reading His Master's Voice' by Stanislaw
Lem: very nice piece of fiction.

I'm now an avowed Apatheist - I don't give a damn what the answers to
unanswerable questions are. Especially when those answers come from
someone with an obvious agenda. Is that religious?

Put a worm on the hook, pop the top off my beer. Argh! It's Coors. I
only wish it were imaginary. If not Guiness, at least let it be a
Corona.

Happy Friday,
Mike