Re: Calif Leads US with Mobile Tracker

On Fri, 18 Sep 1998, John Young wrote:

> Thanks to John Gilmore.
>

> http://www.msnbc.com/local/KNBC/14920.asp
>
> CHP introduces cellular-friendly 911 system
>
> Operators will now be able to capture the
> telephone number and location of the caller
> within a half-block area

While I understand the implications and outrage here, anybody who uses
cellular phones as a measure of security is a total idiot. The connections
usually aren't encrypted, they're radiated to the rest of the area, and
your position can be triangulated (half-ass) if nothing else.

With that in mind, maybe this one is actually legitimate. If criminals
and/or patriots are that stupid, they'll get caught for something else
like driving drunk two states away.