Re: ArcotSign (was Re: Does security depend on hardware?)

At 11:55 AM 9/22/98 +0100, Ben Laurie wrote:
>Colin Plumb wrote:
>>
>> Doug, I'd just like to thank you for replying.  Even without looking at
your
>> description, the fact that you are willing to talk to doubters and admit
>> the limitations of your technique make me a lot more comfortable believing
>> that you have something.  You don't fit into either of the two standard
>> types of snake-oil salesmen: The "I can't tell you because it's secret"
>> sort, and the "it's totally unbreakable, cures world hunger and
>> disposes of nuclear waste" sort.
>
>Clearly I failed to understand this, then:
>
>"This note doesn't tell everything about our method--we *are* developing
>a commercial product, after all..."
>
>which somehow doesn't translate to "I can't tell you because it's
>secret", it seems.

Well, _I_ think they can explain everything (and we hope to do an academic
paper on the idea), but it's not my decision.

Bruce
Bruce Schneier, President, Counterpane Systems     Phone: 612-823-1098
101 E Minnehaha Parkway, Minneapolis, MN  55419      Fax: 612-823-1590
           Free crypto newsletter.  See:  http://www.counterpane.com