Re: ArcotSign (was Re: Does security depend on hardware?)

At 03:04 PM 9/22/98 +0100, Mok-Kong Shen wrote:
>Bruce Schneier wrote:
>>
>> >I suppose you misunderstood me. I mean the 'mathematical magic'
>> >cannot be made public. (Or is 'online protocol' = 'mathematical magic'?)
>> >If the 'magic' is public then the attacker with the pool of passwords
>> >could brute force offline.
>>
>> No.  You misunderstood me.  There is NOTHING secret except the key.
>> The online protocol, mathematical magic, source code, algorithm details,
>> and everything else can be made public.  There are no secrets in the
>> system except for the keys.
>
>In that case please allow me to go back to a point raised by me
>previously. The user uses his 'remembered secret' (of fewer bits)
>through a public algorithm (including protocol) to retrieve from a
>pool the password (of more bits). If the attacker doesn't have the
>pool then everything looks fine. But if he manages to get the pool
>(a case someone mentioned in this thread) then he can obviously
>brute force offline, I believe, since he possesses now everything
>the legitimate user has, excepting the 'remembered secret'. Or is
>there anything wrong with my logic?

Yes.  There is something wrong with you logic.

Bruce
Bruce Schneier, President, Counterpane Systems     Phone: 612-823-1098
101 E Minnehaha Parkway, Minneapolis, MN  55419      Fax: 612-823-1590
           Free crypto newsletter.  See:  http://www.counterpane.com