Re: Stego-empty hard drives... (fwd)

Jim Choate wrote:

> We're not discussin stego, we're discussing hidden disk partitions, not
> hiding data in the lsb of of existing observable disk partitions or
> something similar.

Steganography is the art of hiding data.  Hiding disk partions IMHO falls
under this.  Hiding data in the LSBits of bytes is only an EXAMPLE of stego, it
doesn't define stego.  Even the subject of this message says Stego Empty hard
drives conforming to this definition.

> > Who the fuck is gonna run a tempest scanner on your notebook again?  Let's
>
> Considering the cost of such a scanner (a few $10k/ea.) and assuming such
> masking technology were to become commen place I doubt if very many
> customs checkpoints at major transfer hubs wouldn't have them.

Why would they implement it when they can simply have their software scan the
BIOS code if that's what they feared?  It may cost them $10k each, but it'll
cost them millions to design and scan every notebook type on the planet, and
then they'll have to get their hands on newer models as soon as they hit the
market.  You're talking about a project that's bigger in magnitude than the
NSA.

> > Why would you need to collect BIOSes?  You only need to modify a single BIOS -
> > the one on >YOUR< notebook.  The camouflage code would be a few hundred bytes
> > at most unless you do something overly elaborate.
>
> I suspect it would be several k actualy since it is going to have to
> include the encryption code, device drivers, wedgers, etc.

Why should YOUR BIOS need to contain encryption code or device drivers for that
matter?  All it needs to do is to HIDE the existance of the extra partition.
You modify every INT 13 functions to look for the track number being beyond a
certain value.  As rusty and as fucked as my x86 code is this shows the general
idea:

You patch your BIOS by replacing a few bytes of code with CALL's and NOP's.
Maybe 4-8 bytes at most to modify.  The routine that checks for the track range
is only several bytes:

Somehwere in INT13 code:
            blah
            blah
            blah
            CALL biospatch
            NOP ; to fill in the overwritten code to the next opcode

biospatch  PUSH AX         ;save the register if you need it
           MOV AX,switch   ;get the value of the hack switch switch
           JE  popbye
           POP AX
           CMP AX,1234 ;or whatever register or whatever value
           JLE bye
deny       MOV AL,FAIL ;some reg and some value that says error, likely AL
           RET

popbye     POP AX
bye        ;insert the code that you overwrote with your CALL to this patch
re
           RET

Homework: Someone please take this code, optimize it for size and build a TSR
patching INT 13 that JIM can install and run under DOS.

Whoop... that takes less than 25 bytes of code to implement for each of the INT
13 functions.  If you don't believe me, run debug and type in some similar
code.  All it needs to do is to check if the hack is in place, if so, check the
cylinder/track # being accessed.  If it's bigger than your limit, return an
error, otherwise allow it.  Where's the big fucking several K of code there?

A few more lines of code to implement the hidden switch code and you're set.
Maybe modify the routine that checks for ESC to skip the memory check or DEL to
enter the setup, what another 25 byte patch?

Once you find out where the bios does it's checksum, you NOP that entire
section out, or recalculate the checksum yourself if you want to be anal. This
doesn't add any extra bytes.

Or if you're truly insanly paranoid, modify the bios password routine so that
if you type in a certain password it toggles the hacked mode on or off.  Maybe
a 100 byte patch at most.

> A disassembler isn't a a debugger. All a disassembler does is convert the
> hex to symbols (see frankenstein for an excellent design).

Semantics.  I can use debug to disassemble a ROM bios and trace through it.  It
does the fucking job.  Sure, it doesn't translate symbols or do anything fancy,
but it's enough to do what >THIS< project requires.

> > One thing all you fine folks are forgetting is that there are MANY types
> > of notebooks out there.
>
> With only a few dozen BIOS'es driving the whole kit and kaboodle.

Yeah, and each of those hundreds of types of notebooks have their own MODIFIED
BIOSES with various patches and flash updates.  Good luck collecting a copy of
EVERY version of EVERY bios for EVERY brand of notebook made in various
countries with various languages, options, and other permutations.

> They're new, they will learn from their mistakes and it won't take long.
> After all, they have your tax dollars to use...

Yeah, yeah, yeah, next thing you'll tell me is that they'll start to stick
people in MRI machines to scan for drugs.  Sure, you can do whatever you like
if you've got infinite resources.  Show me someone who does.

Look if your threat model is some bloke in an airport with a shrink wrapped
floppy, even a shit solution will fool him.  If your threat model is ten orders
of magnitude more fascist, then they very likely won't even let you carry a
notebook.

--

.+.^.+.|       Sunder       |Prying open my 3rd eye.  So good to see |./|\.