Re: [salman rushdie]

On 9/27/98, A Cypherpunk Who Wishes Not To Have His Name Used Here wrote to me:

> In article <[email protected]> Bill Stewart wrote:
> > If there's cypherpunks relevance to this, it's that cryptographic
> > privacy and digital cash payments make it easier to publish
> > controversial material without the threat of violence against you.
>
> On the other hand, privacy and digital cash payments make it
> easier to hire and reward hit men.
>
> You may not like it, but there's no sense in pretending it isn't so.

True enough, though in Rushdie's case, the social environment
provided enough protection that the murder could be called for,
the reward could be offered, and several of Rushdie's associates
could be murdered without any resort to crypto.

At least if you want to publish something that you _know_ will
annoy people enough that they want to kill you, you can do it
more safely if you've got a range of options for anonymity.

				Thanks!
					Bill
Bill Stewart, [email protected]