Re: propose: `cypherpunks license' (Re: Wanted: Twofish source code)

I designed the GNU GPL to insist that you must make your code free
software, if you include GPL-covered code in it.  I did this for a
reason: to encourage people to make software free.  It does this by
providing code that is available only for writing free software, not
for writing proprietary software.

The GNU GPL works well to promote free software (see
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/pragmatic.html).  It also permits
commercial use of the code.  What it does not permit is using the code
in a proprietary program.  I won't use proprietary software, I want to
have free software for every job.  So I have no reason to help you
write any proprietary software.  If you want code you can use in a
proprietary program, you are out of luck.

It isn't surprising that people who want to write non-free software
are disappointed that the GNU project won't help them.  What is
amazing is that they feel this is unfair.  They have no intention of
letting me use their source code in my programs--so why should they be
entitled to use my source code in their programs?  These people seem
to think that their selfishness entitles them to special treatment.

The GPL is my way of offering a certain kind of cooperation to anyone
else who is willing to cooperate in the same way.

For an explanation of the difference between commercial and
proprietary, see http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/categories.html and
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/selling.html