Re: propose: `cypherpunks license' (Re: Wanted: Twofish source code)

>> The big issue I see with GPL and Crypto software is that with the GPL
>> you cannot add any redistribution restrictions.  The problem is that
>Ahh, but it's not *you* who's putting the restrictions on your software,
>but the U.S. government.  As far as I know (not that I'm a lawyer, or
>anything) the U.S. govt. doesn't care what your license says --if it's
>strong crypto, it's not supposed to be exported.

Depends on how you write your restrictions - I've seen products that
range from "We the copyright holder refuse to let you export it and we'll
only sell it to Real Americans with Real US Pedigree Papers who agree
that the Real Yankee Government owns their rights to everything
and agree not to think about letting any Furriners see it" to
"By the way, the US government may not let you export it from the
territory they so unreasonably claim, so you might want to check
with a lawyer if that sort of thing bothers you."

				Thanks!
					Bill
Bill Stewart, [email protected]