Re: propose: `cypherpunks license' (Re: Wanted: Twofish source code)

Rick Campbell wrote:

> Public Domain status denotes more freedom than GPL.  It allows all of
> the freedom of GPL and in addition, it allows the freedom of making
> proprietary modifications.

Logically this is (trivially) true, since PD imposes no conditions
while GPL imposes some. One possibility I can imagine is that those
who favour GPL and presumably also the ideas behind it could be
a bit more motivated to achieve a better quality of the software
(including maintenance) than those who put software in the PD.
Of course this is just speculation and I have no way of knowing the
reality.

M. K. Shen