RE: GPL & commercial software, the critical distinction (fwd)

At 8:56 AM -0500 10/8/98, James A. Donald wrote:
>At 04:19 PM 10/6/98 -0500, Jim Choate wrote:
>> Who said anything about 'artificial'? You have a sneaky
>> habit of sticking terms in there where they don't go hoping
>> somebody won't catch it. We're talking a free-market, there
>> are *only* two participants; provider and consumer. If I
>> allow 'artificial' in there then there is the explicit
>> assumption that a third party is now involved. I won't
>> accept a bastardization of free-market in that manner.
>
>Then your argument that free markets lead to monopoly collapses.
>
>You cannot have monopoly (in the sense of the power to extract monopoly of
>profits) except by state intervention as has been proven by experience time
>and time again.
>
>You have been unable to provide any examples of monopolies except those
>created by state intervention, such as the railaways, and those existent
>soley in your fevered imagination, such as the garment industry.

	Given that the textile/garment industry is often one of the first
and loudest pro-tarif voices, there might be a government manipulation
arguement there as well.
--
"To sum up: The entire structure of antitrust statutes in this country is a
jumble of economic irrationality and ignorance. It is a product: (a) of a

Petro::E-Commerce Adminstrator::Playboy Ent.
Inc.::[email protected]::[email protected]