Re: Aaron Debunks Crypto Myths

   >   From: John Young <[email protected]>
   >
   >   Crypto emissary David Aaron gave a speech today in
   >   Germany boosting US encryption policy for privacy and
   >   commerce. Says it's an insult to claim US intelligence
   >   agencies want backdoor access and other untrue myths:
   >
   >      http://jya.com/aaron101398.htm

A prime example of DoubleThink, since Key Recovery == backdoor access.

#   http://jya.com/aaron101398.htm
#
#   Clearly, a balance must be struck between the needs of businesses and
#   consumers and the protection of society as a whole. What is the
#   answer? We believe the answer lies in cryptographic systems that
#   provide trustworthy security services along with lawful access. By
#   lawful access, I refer to a range of technologies designed to permit
#   the plain text recovery of encrypted data and communications under a
                   ^^^^^^^^
#   court order or other lawful means that safeguards civil liberties.

In other words, they believe in cryptographic systems with backdoor access.

The NSA testified to Congress concerning lawful access:

: The Puzzle Palace
:     Inside the National Security Agency,
:     America's most secret intelligence organization
: Author James Bamford, 1983 revision, ISBN 0-14-00.6748-5
:
: P381-382: NSA Director General Allen testified to Congress that there is no
: statute that prevents the NSA from interception of domestic communications.
: Asked whether he was concerned about the legality of expanding greatly its
: targeting of American citizens, the NSA replied: "Legality? That particular
: aspect didn't enter into the discussions."

The government's idea of "lawful access" is "anywhere, anytime".

#   http://jya.com/aaron101398.htm
#
#   We are not wedded to any single technology approach. Key management
#   infrastructures, key recovery and other recoverable products that
#   provide lawful access are some of the ways to achieve a reasonable
#   balance. We believe that seeking industry-led, market-based solutions
#   is the best approach to helping law enforcement.

Oh dey do do dey?

: From [email protected] Wed May 14 18:54:15 1997