RE: DNA (fwd)

Forwarded message:

> From: Matthew James Gering <[email protected]>
> Subject: RE: DNA (fwd)
> Date: Wed, 14 Oct 1998 18:04:32 -0700

> Monozygotic [maternal] twins do have the same DNA. Hence they are
> identical.

In my earlier post I got the naming on the type of twin incorrect, it
shouldn't have been identical. I was trying to explain that aspect in the
second paragraph. My mistake.

> Clones on the otherhand and have identical nuclear DNA, but are not
> necessarily identical because some early development processes rely on
> maternal genome material and not nuclear DNA, and depending on the
> cloning process they may have different mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA).

I assume the mitochondrial differences are due to nucleus swapping,
different line of extra-nuclear heritage?

       To know what is right and not to do it is the worst cowardice.

                                                     Confucius

       Austin, Tx               /:'///// ``::>/|/      [email protected]