[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: An Appraisal of the Technologies of Political Control
- To: [email protected]
- Subject: Re: An Appraisal of the Technologies of Political Control
- From: John Young <[email protected]>
- Date: Tue, 20 Oct 1998 06:11:00 -0400
- In-Reply-To: <WIN937-981020081831-2924*/G=Theodor/S=SCHLICKMANN/OU=BXL/O=DG13/PRMD=CEC/ADMD=RTT/C=BE/@MHS>
- Sender: [email protected]
Theodor Schlickmann offered:
This is a shortened version of an ATPC update over twice as long.
The full report was offered for a while by the Dutch newspaper
NRC Handelsblad but has since been replaced by the shorter
version. Why only the short version is being offered is not
clear -- it addresses only the surveillance part of the full
report, ECHELON and the FBI/EU wiretapping deal.
The report is controversial within EuroParl and the European
Commission and there may have been a political decision
to focus on its most contentious aspects.
Other sections update the full range of technologies for political
control of the original report published in January 1998. (Note
that EuroParl has still not made the orginal report available
The NRC Handelsblad reporter who got the full report from the
author, the Omega Foundation, sent us a copy available at: