Status of GSM Crypto Attacks

Forward from anonymous:

Wed, 21 Oct 98

An engineer at a US wireless telecom and a contributor to
Cryptologia--has asked me to look into the present status
of attacks on the GSM encryption schemes:  comp128 (a3a8
authentication, etc.) and, more importantly, the A5.1 and
A5.2  voice/data encryption algorithms.

After searching the web, I see that you have similar
interests in this matter.  I've already sent off inquiries
to some of the researchers in this area--Ross Anderson,
Simon Shepherd and the two Berkeley students (Goldberg and
Wagner).  So far, I've only heard back from Wagner.  Do you
have anything interesting to say about this matter--has
anything happened since the Spring?  Has a consensus been
reached on some of the issues discussed in the
<http://jya.com/crack-a5.htm> document?

I'm trying to get a handle on the present state-of-the art:
Where do things presently stand--who is doing the work and
what, if anything, has been verified/demonstrated?   Has A5
been cracked?   What can be said about the possibility of
intercepting and decoding an on-air conversation?