Forwarded mail...

Forwarded message:

> From: [email protected]
> Date: Wed, 21 Oct 1998 10:12:37 +0200
> Subject: Re: "We have to destroy privacy in order to protect privacy"

> What is privacy?

The ability to store or archive material without worry of it being
distributed without prior permission.

The right to tell somebody you won't answer their question or include them
in the dicussion, to the extend of asking them to go someplace else so they
can't overhear or grab the dialogue.

Ultimately it's a societal behavior that is exemplified by citizens not
obtaining material that is relevant or related to you without involving you
from the beginning.

> Although this is a matter of law, only political
> strategies are executed.

Law == Politics

> Protection of privacy turns out to be the most important
> human rights issue in this information technology age.

Um, actualy Writ of Habeas Corpus is the most important right. Privacy and
everything else are moot if your sitting in a jail cell with no hope of
release or trial.

> Following several articles in American newspapers,
> privacy at the work place is in great danger.

There isn't any privacy at the workspace. When you hire on to an employer
*AND* agree to work on their premises you voluntarily give this up. It is
the same situation as if you hire a kiddy-watcher and you video-tape the
activity for your protection. If you really want privacy protection in the
workplace then insist that detailed limits are included in any contract
(pretty much unheard of).

       To know what is right and not to do it is the worst cowardice.

                                                     Confucius

       Austin, Tx               /:'///// ``::>/|/      [email protected]